Ed Trust–West’s Education Equity Forum 2022: Moving Forward Together
Ed Trust–West’s Education Equity Forum 2022 will provide the first opportunity since 2019 for educational justice advocates to gather together and learn from each other. This year’s forum will focus on how we move forward together to leverage evidence-based strategies to significantly improve racial and educational equity and justice in our early learning centers, schools, and colleges throughout California. The Forum will feature:
- Engaging speakers doing racial equity and justice work in classrooms, campuses, and communities
- Real-world focused breakout sessions sharing actionable tips and tools for practitioners, administrators, and advocates
- Opportunities to connect and network with fellow equity champions
Education Equity Forum Sept 19 -20th
Reception (Open to all Forum registrants) Monday Sept 19th 5:30pm – 7:30pm PT
Join fellow advocates, practitioners, and education equity community members for refreshments, snacks, and connections!
Ed Equity Forum Tuesday, Sept 20th 8am – 4pm PT
Ed Trust–West’s Education Equity Forum is the premier gathering of advocates, educators, school and college leaders, student leaders, and policymakers from across California to network and learn about strategies to take home and tackle our education systems’ toughest equity challenges. This year’s Forum will amplify impactful work happening across the state & beyond to improve racial equity in California schools and colleges, especially as we try to emerge stronger from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Pushing Past the Performative: Where We’ve Been and Where We Need To Go With Racial Equity in Education
A morning plenary conversation hosted by Dr. Carol Hedgspeth, featuring:
A keynote conversation with Dr. Anna Malaika Tubbs:
Monday, Sept 19th 1pm – 5pm PT
Join us for one of three Pre-Forum Implementation Institutes on Monday, Sept 19th from 1pm – 5pm! After a number of new investments from state leaders, local school districts and colleges have a lot to consider in terms of moving from policy to on-the-ground implementation in order to recover stronger from the pandemic. Our Pre-Forum sessions will allow practitioners and advocates to dig deeper into an urgent topic and connect in interactive ways to learn and plan for the future. Participants will hear expert presentations on the recent policy change, have time to plan with fellow participants, discuss local dynamics impacting implementation, and identify key opportunities for action. Each participant will leave with an action plan they can take home to their own communities to support equity-minded implementation. Topic for current Pre-Forum Institutes include:
- Jumpstarting College Access: Expanding Dual Enrollment Pathways for Students of Color in Your Community (co-hosted by Ed Trust–West and Career Ladders Project)
- Going #Allin4FinancialAid: Increasing FAFSA & CADAA Completion in K-12 School Districts
- Enhancing Early Learning Equity: Action Planning for Transitional Kindergarten Expansion
- All attendees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend the Education Equity Forum, and will be asked to provide proof of vaccination prior to attendance. Please upload documents via the VOW Digital Health App.
- All event attendees are being asked to take a Rapid Antigen COVID-19 test the day prior to their arrival at the event and will be asked to upload the negative test results.
- Monday Attendees: If arriving for the Implementation Institute or the Reception on Monday 9/19, tests must be uploaded on the Vow Digital Health App on Sunday, 9/18 through morning of Monday 9/19.
- Tuesday Attendees: Attendees will be required to take a Rapid Antigen COVID-19 test the morning of the Education Equity Forum, Tuesday 9/20, and upload the negative test. If arriving on Tuesday 9/20, tests must be uploaded on the VOW Digital Health App by the morning of Tuesday, 9/20.
- All attendees are required to mask during the event (properly covering both your nose and mouth); specifically in the indoors conference event spaces (indicated by signage).
- Requests for exemption from this COVID-19 vaccination policy based on religious or medical concerns are addressed on a case-by-case basis. In the event of an approved exemption, attendees must additionally take a COVID-19 PCR test in advance of the event, in addition to a rapid/antigen test and mandatory masking. If you have any questions, please reach out to [email protected].
The reserved room block at the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles is now closed. Please reach out to [email protected] if you need support with identifying an available room – there may be limited availability.
Download the Event App
Please download the ‘Cvent Events’ App from your phone’s App Store. Once downloaded, search for the event name: The Education Equity Forum. Log into the app using your first and last name and the email address you registered for the Forum with. With the CVENT app, you will be able to view the full conference agenda, add sessions to your personalized schedule, learn about the student art on display, message other participants, and much more!
- The Pre-Forum Implementation Institutes begin on Monday, September 19, at 1:00 pm. The registration desk will be open Monday, September 19, from 12:00 pm to 7:00 pm in the Gateway Pre-Function.
- The Education Equity Forum kicks off the next day, September 20, at 8:00 am with breakfast! The registration desk will again be open on Tuesday, September 20, from 7:30 am to 1:00 pm.
- The hotel offers a complimentary 24 hour shuttle from all LAX terminals – to find the shuttle, please follow the signs to the red “Hotel & Courtesy Shuttle” area and look for shuttles labeled with the Sheraton Gateway.
- Discounted parking is offered at $25 + tax for day valet parking and $35 + tax for overnight valet parking. If you are day valet parking, please identify yourself as part of the Forum to receive the discounted rate.