News

Source: LAist

A controversial proposal to require high school students to take an extra year of math or a related class, like personal finance or coding, to be considered for admission to the Cal State University system is on hold.

Opponents of the plan have said it would discriminate against low-income students and students of color. The CSU board of trustees had been previously scheduled to vote on whether to authorize it at its meeting on Wednesday. Instead, they decided to wait for the results of a year-long independent study of the plan.

“We are encouraged that the Chancellor listened to our concerns that a shift in the admissions policy could have made it more difficult for students of color and low-income students to enter CSU,” said Elisha Smith Arrillaga, executive director of Education Trust-West, in a statement. “The proposed analysis is a positive step to ensure educational equity.”

Read More