A note to all applicants
- All positions currently open are posted on this website.
- For full consideration, please follow the application process listed for each job description. We ask that you send your application and correspondence only to the address provided.
- We will give every application our full attention; however, we are not able to respond to individual inquiries on the status of your application. You will receive an auto-reply message letting you know that we received your application, and the appropriate hiring manager will contact you if we wish to pursue your candidacy.
- The positions listed below are available in our Oakland, California office unless otherwise noted.
The Education Trust—West (ETW) works for the high academic achievement for all students at all levels—pre-kindergarten through college. We expose opportunity and achievement gaps that separate students of color and low-income students from other youth, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close those gaps. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders across the state in transforming K-12 public schools into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state policy agenda. To learn more, please visit www.edtrustwest.org.
The Education Trust—West (ETW) seeks a full-time Practice Associate to support California state-wide work on closing achievement and opportunity gaps by supporting implementation work of the Practice Team. The Practice team works with ETW colleagues, districts, and other organizations to: 1) identify, describe and disseminate strategies to close opportunity and achievement gaps that impact students of color and low-income students and 2) engage district and school level stakeholders to ensure conditions and strategies for equity are in place and effective.
Key areas of work within this position encompass supporting student access to rigorous content including: the implementation of the Common Core State Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, English Language Development Standards, and A-G college and career preparatory curriculum. The scope of work will also include researching and developing resources about effective teaching practices and equitable implementation of the standards and A-G curriculum in California. The Practice Associate will report to the Director of Practice.
The ideal candidate has a passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them. Works well in a deadline-driven, mission-focused, collaborative work culture. Educators and practitioners with research experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Participate in research, data collection, logistical support and product production of the Practice Team;
- Research best practices that close opportunity and achievement gaps;
- Participate in school/district visits to document best practices; conduct interviews, facilitate focus groups and analyze surveys;
- Assist with the analyses of achievement and opportunity gaps at the district and school level and support ETW’s Educational Opportunity Study, Blueprint and other project work with districts and schools;
- Support projects to support the implementation of the common core standards, local control accountability plan implementation research and other equity focused projects with districts and schools;
- Locate, read, evaluate, and summarize research regarding effective implementation of the standards, practices and policies to achieve high standards, rigorous curricula, effective teaching and school leadership;
- Draft presentations, written synopses, literature reviews, and reports based on research findings;
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the practice team;
- Other administrative duties as assigned to support the mission of ETW.
Qualifications and Experience
- Highly analytical, ability to see trends and synthesize complex information
- Familiarity/experience with issues of equity, teacher effectiveness, instructional practice, and common core implementation as they relate to raising achievement
- Experience in school data collection, focus group facilitation, qualitative analysis, and research
- Familiarity with tools used to collect and analyze survey data such as Survey Monkey and Excel
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate well with others, both inside and outside the organization
- Demonstrated ability to develop Powerpoint slides to share research findings
- Experience with and demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a fast-moving, team oriented environment;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential
- 3-5 years teaching experience highly preferred, California public school experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Willingness to travel (must possess a CA driver’s license)
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color coupled with a strong knowledge of social justice and equity-related issues;
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently and take initiative;
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence;
- Results-oriented, achievement-driven approach to projects and tasks, with a clear understanding an focus on goals;
- Strong sense of honor and integrity;
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor;
- A collegial, consultative, and team-building approach that puts others at ease and engenders trust; the ability to actively listen, with an appreciation for nuance in communication;
- A friendly and supportive working style that brings out the best in colleagues;
- An optimistic outlook and a flexible, innovative nature.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust–West offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please send your resume, a writing sample and a thoughtful cover letter that describes your interest in this position, your relevant qualifications and experience, and your availability, to email@example.com.
- In the subject line write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name, for example “Practice Associate_Smith”
- Please save your resume and other materials as attachments with names as follows:
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.
NO TELEPHONE INQUIRIES