Reporting to the Director of Planning, Grants & Administration, the Development Associate will support ETW by managing fundraising efforts and building a culture of philanthropy within the organization. Funds raised will support critical issues around educational equity within California. This position will execute tactics and strategies for fundraising plans, build and maintain relationships with donors, carryout development goals, and evaluate the effectiveness of our fundraising efforts.
The ideal candidate has a passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them. Works well in a deadline-driven, mission-focused, collaborative work culture.
The position will be located in Oakland, California.
Support Staff Across the Organization in Development of a Culture of Philanthropy
- Support and engage staff across the organization with the development process, including:
- prospecting, researching, writing and solicitating input;
- facilitating meetings with staff to prepare for funder/donor meetings, and to review the status of secured funding and opportunities for new funding; and
- building and maintaining relationships with current and/or prospective donors;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of fundraising campaigns by creating and analyzing reports that describe the progress and effectiveness of these campaigns and share with staff;
- Develop and maintain a process to monitor and evaluate the organization’s impact and use this information to draft status/progress reports to funders and staff;
Assist with Production of Grant Proposals and Reports
- Create production schedules and assist with the development of proposals and reports, including gathering and/or drafting documents such as financials, supporting documents, and data and research materials
- Review documents to ensure the highest quality in written communications and promotional materials including proposals, applications, correspondence, interim and final foundation reports, and budgetary information;
- Ensure timely submission of all grant proposals, budgets, and reporting requirements;
- Ensure compliant and strategic coding of expenses against grant funding in accordance with ETW’s fiscal year budget;
Assist with Development of New Fundraising Strategies and Current Donor Cultivation
- Assist the Director of Planning, Grants & Administration in developing and executing an individual giving program that will secure annual gifts to support ETW’s operating and fundraising priorities including;
- Conduct development-related research, including individual donor and grant prospecting;
- Coordinate and attend donor- and funder-related events and meetings;
- Manage grants and individual donor records in Salesforce;
- Manage all aspects of donor acknowledgement process and draft data driven appeals to drive new donor acquisition, renewal requests, and gift upgrades; and
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or 2-4 years of experience with fundraising or related work in the non-profit sector preferred;
- Strong project management and follow-through skills, attention to detail and the highest degree of professionalism, especially under deadline pressures;
- The ability to manage and prioritize competing demands in a changing, highly collaborative environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- An appetite for networking and relationship building;
- Strong computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook); database experience preferred (Salesforce or other CRM); and
- A passionate commitment to expanding opportunities for low-income students and students of color, and a belief that P-16 education in California must do a much better job in serving these students.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Instructions to Apply
Please provide a cover letter and resume, combined into one document. Your cover letter should describe your background, relevant experience, and your alignment with the mission. In the file name, please write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “Development Associate_Wu”
Please submit your applications materials using the link below:
The Education Trust-West is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.