The Education Trust–West seeks a Communications Manager to help to advance the organization’s ambitious agenda to expose and eradicate injustices and inequities in California schools, colleges, and systems of education. Reporting directly to the Director of Communications, the Communications Manager will work alongside Ed Trust–West’s P-12 and higher education research, policy, and practice teams to develop and execute communications activities to further advance the organization’s advocacy goals.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Education Trust–West works for educational justice and the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, pre-K through college. We expose educational injustices and inequities that separate students of color, English learners, and low-income students from their peers, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close equity gaps. We work alongside schools, districts, college campuses, and higher education institutions to understand and evaluate the effectiveness of strategies intended to reduce and eliminate racial equity gaps. We use lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, to drive a state and national conversation about how our P-12 education system and colleges and universities can better serve underserved students of color, English learners, and low-income students.
The Communications Manager’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Strategic Communications Outreach
- Confidently project manage editorial and production processes to ensure effective public release of Ed Trust–West P-16 material
- Ensure communication strategies are targeted and aligned to audience need
- Share pertinent information across teams to improve internal communications
- Develop cohesive communications plans to reach the organization’s target audiences (including parent and student leaders, teachers and faculty members, state and local policymakers and community leaders) for advocacy campaigns, policy papers, reports, eventsand other advocacy documents/tools
- Cultivate and create relationships with national and state reporters, editors, bloggers, producers, and columnists directly, and through leveraging consultants
- Manage the creation and maintenance of key media and outreach lists in both EveryAction and Cision and the distribution of internal media clips
Writing and Editing
- Write content for a variety of external facing materials, including media advisories and press releases, op-eds, event marketing materials, web and social media content including emails and blogs, and media talking points
- Edit a variety of ETW materials for grammar, tone, accessibility, and alignment with key advocacy messages
- Strategically align content development with overall Ed Trust–West goals around narrative shifts that help eradicate racial inequities and injustices
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Candidates should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work. In addition, we are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- 5+ years of experience in advocacy communications, public relations, or related field
- Undergraduate degree required, a graduate degree or comparable years of experience in advocacy communication is preferred
- Strong project management skills with a demonstrated ability to be flexible and juggle multiple priorities, projects, campaigns, and tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in a racial justice, education policy, or other issue advocacy environment is required, along with a strong commitment to racial justice and equity work
- Self-reflective, open to honest conversations about race, identity, and privilege and how these forces impact our internal and external work
- Solid follow-through and attention to detail
- Proven experience drafting a variety of written marketing materials such as press releases, fact sheets, talking points, and op-eds
- Strong computer skills and experience with public relations management software — such as Cision — is preferred; knowledge of WordPress is a plus
- Fluency in writing and speaking in Spanish is a plus
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Ed Trust–West offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please provide an engaging cover letter, resume, and two previously-written writing samples to be considered for this position. Priority deadline is June 9th. Applications will still be considered after this date.
In the file name, please write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “CommunicationsManager_Chu”
Apply for Communications Manager using the link below:
The Education Trust–West is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.