The Education Trust–West works for the educational justice and the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, pre-K through college. We expose opportunity and achievement gaps that separate students of color, English learners, and low-income students from their peers, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close those gaps. We work alongside schools, districts, college campuses, and higher education institutions to understand and evaluate the effectiveness of reform strategies intended to reduce and eliminate achievement and opportunity gaps. We use lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, to drive a state and national conversation about how our K-12 education system and colleges and universities can better serve all students. To learn more, please visit www.edtrustwest.org.
The Education Trust–West (ETW) seeks a temporary, part-time (10-15 hours/week) Communications Intern to support our Communications team with content creation, upkeep of communications platforms, and communications related research and other tasks. The ideal candidate has a passion for social justice issues and improving the educational opportunities and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that all students can succeed. This is a temporary position based in our Oakland office.
- Develop and schedule promotional and engaging content for various platforms, including social media, email, and website copy
- Regularly track, engage with, and share content from partner organizations, social media influencers, and other amplifiers
- Update tracking systems for media, social media, and email communications
- Compile and synthesize public opinion research and communications trends/best practices research to inform communications strategy
- Compile and distribute media clips relevant to education equity
- Copyedit select written pieces covering a range of K-12 and higher education policy and advocacy issues in partnership with the Communications Team
- Create compelling images for social media and online communications that increase reach and drive traffic to other digital platforms
- Collaborate with other team members to conceptualize communications strategies and develop and implement tactics to in support of policy and advocacy goals
- Participate in various stages of editing reports, blogs, and other content, including fact-checking and copyediting
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate or graduate-level coursework in communications, writing, public policy and/or public affairs or applicable non-coursework experience such as organizing, political activism, social media management
- Proven written communication skills, including writing short and long copy for different audiences
- An understanding of and familiarity with major social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc)
- The ability to remain calm and nimble in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with email contact management systems and/or design programs (Canva, Photoshop) a plus
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for students of color and low-income students, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them
- An understanding of systemic discrimination issues facing students of color and low-income students
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to execute and exhibit good judgment
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented
- Desire to learn from others and build relationships across the organization
- An optimistic outlook and a flexible, innovative nature
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please provide a cover letter and resume, combined into one document. Your cover letter should describe your communications background, experience to date, and your alignment with the mission. Priority deadline of January 7, 2019. Applications will still be accepted after this date.
In the file name, please write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “CommunicationsIntern_Lopez.” To begin the application process, click the link below:
The Education Trust-West is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.