The Education Trust–West works for the educational justice and the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, pre-K through college. We expose opportunity and achievement gaps that separate students of color, English learners, and low-income students from their peers, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close those gaps. We work alongside schools, districts, college campuses, and higher education institutions to understand and evaluate the effectiveness of reform strategies intended to reduce and eliminate achievement and opportunity gaps. We use lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, to drive a state and national conversation about how our K-12 education system and colleges and universities can better serve all students. To learn more, please visit www.edtrustwest.org.
The Education Trust–West (ETW) seeks a temporary, part-time (20 hours/week) Communications Intern to support our Communications team with content creation, upkeep of communications platforms, and communications related research and other tasks. This is a temporary position based in our Oakland office.
- Develop and schedule promotional and engaging content for various platforms, including social media, email, and website copy
- Compile and distribute regular news media clips relevant to educational justice and racial equity, covering early education through higher education
- Regularly track, engage with, and share content from partner organizations, social media influencers, and other amplifiers
- Update calendaring systems for media, social media, and email communications
- In partnership with content experts, support the development of communications materials (such as press releases, social media posts, email newsletters, web content, blogs, videos, and other materials) for Ed Trust West’s advocacy campaigns
- Create compelling images for social media and online communications that increase reach and drive engagement
- Participate in various stages of editing reports, blogs, and other content, including fact-checking and copyediting
- Perform a variety of tasks to ensure the smooth, consistent, and strategic coordination of ETW communications efforts such as updating communications databases, tracking and reporting metrics, and archiving and organizing communications collateral.
- Other duties as assigned
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
- Undergraduate or graduate-level coursework in communications, writing, public policy and/or public affairs or applicable non-coursework experience such as organizing, political activism, social media management
- Proven written communication skills, including writing short and long copy for different audiences
- An understanding of and familiarity with major social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
- The ability to remain calm and nimble in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with email contact management systems and/or design programs (Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, Word Press, etc.) a plus
- Passion for eradicating systemic oppression and improving the educational experiences and outcomes for students of color and low-income students, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented
- Desire to learn from others and build relationships across the organization
- An optimistic outlook and a flexible, innovative nature
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please provide a cover letter and resume, combined into one document. Your cover letter should describe your communications background, experience to date, and your alignment with the mission. Priority deadline of November 4, 2019. Applications will still be accepted after this date.
In the file name, please write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “CommunicationsIntern_Lopez”
Apply for Communications Intern using the link below:
The Education Trust-West is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.