The Education Trust–West (ETW) works for the high academic achievement of all students at all levels—pre-kindergarten through college. We expose opportunity and achievement gaps that separate students of color and low-income students from other youth, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close those gaps. We work alongside parents, students, educators, policymakers, and community leaders across the state in transforming P-12 and higher education institutions to serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state policy agenda. To learn more, please visit www.edtrustwest.org.
The Education Trust–West seeks a full-time Communications Associate to assist in the development and implementation of compelling, effective communication strategies and tactics at The Education Trust–West to increase momentum in the educational justice movement. The Communications Associate will work in a highly collaborative environment to support the work of the organization and to find new and innovative ways to build a network of equity champions across the state. This position helps to advance the organization’s mission by implementing systems to streamline communications and creating thought-provoking content. Together with the entire ETW team this role will work on a variety of educational equity efforts, helping to publicize research, policy and practice publications and projects. The position will be part of the fast-paced and nimble External Relations and Communications team and the Associate will report to the Assistant Director of Communications.
- Assist in the design and implementation of communications strategies for both traditional and emerging media platforms
- Write, create and edit, in collaboration with other ETW staff, communication materials and content including but not limited to media releases and advisories, social media posts, infographics, fact sheets, advocacy letters, blogs, videos, and other related materials for public dissemination
- Coordinate maintenance of various ETW communications platforms, including website, social media, and internal organizational platforms
- Coordinate media tracking, selection, and distribution of news and influencers clips
- Develop and maintain processes and systems to track progress on communications efforts and advocacy goals
- Maintain a database of communications resources for internal and external use
- Conduct issue-related research in the areas of educational equity, communications strategies, and policy advocacy, and identify potential communications opportunities and tactics
- Perform a variety of tasks related to ensuring the smooth, consistent, and strategic coordination of ETW communications efforts such as updating communications databases, tracking and reporting metrics, and copyediting.
- Other duties as assigned to support the mission and work of the organization
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience; minimum of 2-3 years of experience in communications, preferably in a nonprofit advocacy or community organizing setting
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communications skills, with the ability to conceptualize, draft, and edit content efficiently and with a sense of urgency
- Proficiency in MS Office programs and in social media platforms, experience with WordPress, HTML and/or contact management database platforms preferred
- Experience in designing and implementing multi-platform social media campaigns
- Ability to craft and strategically adapt language for a variety of audiences and settings
- Knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn issues related to educational equity and the closing of opportunity and achievement gaps; an understanding of education policy and social justice issues specific to California is preferred
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color coupled with a strong knowledge of social justice and equity-related issues
- Commitment to “Walking the Talk,” which means operating with – and a willingness to develop – cultural competence, an understanding that systemic and institutionalized racism significantly affect communities of color and of the historical impact of privilege and power on American systems, and sensitivity, humility, and a willingness to self-reflect
- Possession of a sense of humor, calm under pressure attitude, and a willingness to learn and grow
- Ability to nimbly and joyfully adapt to changing situations on a daily basis in a fast-paced environment
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust–West offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please send a thoughtful cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- In the Subject Line write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “CommunicationsAssociate_Reyes”
- Submit your resume and other materials as attachments with the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “CommunicationsAssociate_Reyes_Resume”
NO TELEPHONE INQUIRIES
It is the policy of Ed Trust–West to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.