The Education Trust–West (ETW) works for educational justice and the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, pre-K through college. ETW exposes opportunity and achievement gaps that separate students of color, English learners, and low-income students from their peers and identifies and advocates for the strategies that will forever close those gaps. ETW works alongside schools, districts, college campuses, and higher education institutions to understand and evaluate the effectiveness of reform strategies intended to reduce and eliminate achievement and opportunity gaps. We use lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, to drive a state and national conversation about how our P-12 education system and higher education institutions can better serve all students.
The Education Trust–West seeks a Communications Associate to advance the organization’s ambitious agenda to expose and eradicate injustices and inequities in California schools, colleges, and systems of education. Reporting directly to the Communications Manager – Public Relations Specialist, this position will work alongside the research, policy, educator engagement, government relations, external relations, and development teams to develop and manage communications planning and implementation to further advance the organization’s advocacy goals.
Due to COVID-19, all employees are currently working remotely. Once the organization returns to the office in early 2022, the position will be based in the Oakland office. This position will require some travel.
At The Education Trust, the health and safety of our employees is of the utmost importance. As such, all Education Trust employees will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and new hires should be fully vaccinated prior to their first day of work. Requests for accommodations due to medical or religious reasons will be reviewed by Human Resources.
The responsibilities of the Communications Associate include but are not limited to the following:
Digital Communications Support
- Support the implementation of social media activities across multiple channels and platforms
- Facilitate social media requests from staff which includes writing social media content and implementing social media promotion
- Implement social media scheduling and respond to quick-turnaround social media requests
- Coordinate an email outreach program, including designing emails with content and visuals; own creation, design, and execution of our monthly Equity in Practice newsletter
- Support maintenance and buildout of Every Action email program including updating lists after every ETW event, helping refine and target list, and building out ETW email program
- Act as support for all website updates and maintenance
- Provide design support for social media graphics and event invites
- Monitor key social media and email metrics, surface significant trends, and recommend data-driven improvements for greater impact and efficiency
Earned Media Support
- Assist with media research and building out Cision media lists to help ETW be more proactive and responsive to media landscape and reporter requests
- Assist in developing media backgrounders and other communications related tasks as needed
General Communications Support
- Assist with a select number of ETW collateral releases (i.e. release project management), campaigns, and events
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience in advocacy communications, digital communications, or related field
- Experience drafting digital content and proven results using digital communications to advance a cause
- Strong project management skills with a demonstrated ability to be flexible and juggle multiple priorities, projects, campaigns, and tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color coupled with a strong knowledge of social justice and equity-related issues
- Commitment to “Walking the Talk,” which means operating with – and a willingness to develop – cultural competence, an understanding that systemic and institutionalized racism significantly affect communities of color and the historical impact of privilege and power on American systems. Is self-reflective, open to honest conversations about race, identity, and privilege and how these forces impact our internal and external work
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently
- The intellectual strength and curiosity to understand and appreciate the varied and complex pursuits of the program and policy staff, and the ability to translate that understanding to the general public
- Creative problem solver who seeks out new ways of doing things
- Results-oriented, achievement-driven approach to projects and tasks, with a clear understanding and focus on goals and a demonstrated commitment to excellence; exceptional follow-through and attention to detail
- Strong computer skills and experience with social media management platforms such as Sprout Social, CRMs such as Every Action, and website development
- Fluency in writing and speaking in Spanish is a plus.
- Experience in the education field a plus.
- Some college or bachelor’s degree preferred.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust—West offers a comprehensive benefits package.
The priority deadline for this role is January 2nd, 2022. Please provide a cover letter and resume, combined into one document. Your cover letter should describe your background, and relevant experience. In the file name, please write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “Comms Associate_Wu.” Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please submit your application materials at Recruitment (adp.com) by the PRIORITY DEADLINE of January 2nd, 2022. Applications will be accepted/reviewed until position is filled.
The Education Trust-West is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.